Monday, February 15, 2010

A Preview of My First MK II Event - Resurgence

This coming Saturday, I'm heading to a Resurgence event in Fredericksburgh, VA. Darren and a few other Baythralls will be joining me there and I hope there's a good showing of players. This will be my first tournament in the new MK II setting and really, the first tournament for me in about two years. I'm a little nervous going in but I plan on having a good time and playing my one of my favorite casters, the High Reclaimer.


With that being said, I really like the HR's rules and here's a few reasons why. The grind it out game, I really enjoy longer games and like the fact that he plays an attrition battle. Though he can go for the assasination run, this suits my playing style more and its really fun bringing back Bastions at full health. Another thing is creativity, there's really a lot of good troop and jack choices to bring with him and his army doesn't get stale. I've read about resurrecting Idrians that have the opposing caster as their prey and how its a good assasination attempt. That might sound obvious to any seasoned veteran of the game but it caught me be surprise.

Finally is his ability in scenario play. Those people that have played in Resurgence know the scenario Gaining Ground, where you have to control zones in the middle of the board. I was thinking the HR could resurrect troops and have them go for the zone closest to the opponent's edge. There's a bunch more reasons why I like him but that's good enough for now. Its time for my three lists.

High Reclaimer - 25 Points
*Vanquisher
*Crusader
Hierophant
Choir - min
TFG - max
Cleansers - min
Vassal

High Reclaimer - 35 Points
*Vanquisher
*Crusader
Hierophant
Choir - min
TFG - max
TFG w/ UA
Cleansers - min
Bastions - max
Vassal

High Reclaimer - 50 Points
*Vanquisher
*Crusader
*Guardian
Hierophant
Choir - min
TFG - max
TFG w/ UA
Cleansers - min
Bastions - max
Rhoven and Honour Guard
Vassal
Rhupert

I'm particularly concerned about the lack of any commanders in my 25 and 35 point lists. My TFG and Cleansers are both susceptible to fleeing and I hope that it doesn't happen. The Guardian is in there for arcing spells if I have a ton of focus and for pitching people out of the control zones. Plus, if I can clear out a charge lane for him to an opposing caster, he'll be MAT 10 with Powerful charge and battle hymned. Its all in theory though, now I have to execute my plan.

Here's a picture of my 50 point army. I forgot to add poor Rhupert to the army but its ok. He's only primed and no special base.


I plan on bringing my camera and taking some pics. Battle reports should be posted no later than Monday. Wish me luck...

4 comments:

Darren said...

It should be a fun one, the BayThralls need to leave there with all the coins... and of course I will be leaving there with the champion and Retribution Coin :-)

bluecardinal said...

Out of all of us, I think you have the best shot at taking the tourney. I'll be happy if I win just one game. Really, I'm just looking forward to playing some games.

It should be a good time.

loftybloke said...

These are looking really good :)

I like the basing, it takes dedication using cork on the rank and file guys too!

Good luck at the event dude

Lofty

bluecardinal said...

Thanks Lofty, I'm going to be doing a tutorial on my bases in a couple of weeks. Nothing fancy.

As far as the tourney goes, I'm just happy to get some games in and play against some fresh new faces.