I managed to get a lot of work done on my demo game board today and it's almost finished. The big rocks were pretty easy to do but painting felt is another story. Needless to say, it didn't go exactly as planned.
In looking back, I should've flocked the table with some Woodland Scenics green turf before I started painting the rocks and then painted the big stuff. Anyways, here's some WIP shots of the gaming table after today's work.
This is the table after I sprayed black primer on the rocks and put down some brown paint around them. I also glued down some rocks on the road to make it a little more authentic. The rocks are kitty litter if anyone wants to know.
Here's the table after I applied a base coat of grey with a tint of blue onto the big rocks and cliff. The rocks were pretty straight forward. I took some info out of a No Quarter mag to help the process go smoother.
This is the rocks after one layer of drybrushing. In hindsight, I don't know if I would've add a cold grey wash onto them. They were looking great and then I tried to get fancy. Oh well.
Here's the rocks after I added a coat of cold grey and then a wash of devlan mud (I love this stuff) and a little green wash to the big rock. You can see the green in the bottom left hand side of it. I'm not sure If I like this or not. The road also got its first base coat and I tried painting some of the felt a darker green. You can kind of see it in the outline of the board.
Here's a first person shot of the road and its layout. Notice the arch in the big rock... That's pine bark for you.
Finally, this is the current state of the board. It's coming along nicely and I hope to have some green turf put down on it by the end of tomorrow. I'm mainly going to flock the bright green parts and leave the brownish areas alone. It'll add to the scorched look of a battleground.
One more day and couting, here's hoping I can finish it...